Audio/Listen to Scanner Feeds on an iPod
To listen to a feed on your iPod Touch (doesn't matter which generation) and the iPhone (same deal. Doesn't matter regular or 3g) you need a few things:
- your device (obviously)
- an iTunes account
- accessibility to the App Store
- $.99 or $5.99 (plus tax) depending on the App you choose
I am going to write this tut based on my experience with WunderRadio. I don't know about the app called Radio, so if someone wants to test that one out and edit this, that would work as well.
- Purchase an App called WunderRadio
- Find feeds for your area. WunderRadio supports mms, asx, m3u (mp3 playlists), and pls formats. I set mine up using a feed from the Cache Valley. So for mine the address of the feed is http://www.incidentbroadcast.com:8000/Cache.mp3.m3u
- Play the feed in the app. On the "Stations" tab, at the top there is a "URL or Search RadioTime directory". You will type in the full url here. Make sure you include the http:// because it won't recognize it if you don't. I spent almost half an hour trying to figure out why it wouldn't find or play the feed, and I found out that it was because I didn't have http://www.
- (optional): Add this feed to your favorites. ;D
FYI: Listening to scanners on my iPod drains the battery very fast. If you want to maintain your battery, you will probably want to plug the device in. ;) I got mine to work and play through my iHome with no modifications or anything.